Wednesday, March 18, 2020

St. Patrick's Day

March 17, 2020

We are all still recovering from the flu and just trying to get our strength back a little at a time.  Today we celebrated St. Patrick's Day with several activities and movies.



The Lord opened the understanding of my unbelieving heart, so that I should recall my sins.  ~St. Patrick~



D helped me prep the rice the night before for the rainbow rice activity.  We put 2 cups of white rice in a ziplock bag and added about 10 or more drops of food coloring and a cap of alcohol to the rice.  Then just let him shake the bags so the rice could get coated with the desired colors.  


After shaking the bag we poured the rice on separate plates so it could dry overnight.  Once dry placed the rice in a plastic tub and added several rainbow and St. Patty items to the rice.  Also hid several letters and numbers for D to search for and identify.


Once the kids woke up they were ready to dive right in and search for all the hidden objects.  K loves helping D with his numbers and letters, blessed that 99% of the time they get along very well even though they are 4 years apart.



Watched the history of St. Patrick's Day on BrainPop app on my phone.  



Printed out a great packet for our lesson St. Patrick's Day from Teachers Pay Teachers website.  We started our devotion on how we are called to Obey God, just like Jonah and St. Patrick did.



Second lesson was when we see the color green it will remind us of eternal life in Heaven.  Kids made Salvation Bead Bracelets, each color represents a symbolism: Dark Blue/Black (our sins that separate us from God), Red (Christ's blood that He shed for us), White (forgiveness of our sins that is available if we ask and accept Christ), Green (eternal life offered as a gift to us), and Yellow/Gold (the hope we have in Heaven).  



Third lesson was a promise to believe in!  Genesis 9:12-17 "I am giving you a sign of my covenant with you and with all living creatures, for all generations to come.  I have placed my rainbow in the clouds.  It is the sign of my covenant with you and with all the earth.  When I send clouds over the earth, the rainbow will appear in the clouds, and I will remember my covenant with you and with all living creatures.  Never again will the floodwaters destroy all life.  When I see the rainbow in the clouds, I will remember the eternal covenant between God and every living creature on earth."  Then God said to Noah, "Yes, this rainbow is the sign of the covenant I am confirming with all the creatures on earth."



Fourth lesson a Shamrock: Trinity Lesson.  St. Patrick used the shamrock for a wonderful lesson to explain the Trinity.  Most people who lived in Ireland believed in many gods.  St. Patrick illustrated that 3 leaves are all part of the same plant, just as God, Son (Jesus), and the Holy Spirit.  

God our Father (Genesis 1:1) "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth."
Jesus Christ, the son (John 10:30) "Jesus said: I and my Father are one."
The Holy Spirit (John 16:7) "But I tell you the truth; It is for your good that I am going away.  Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I'll send Him to you." 



Printed out these cute worksheets for the kids to color from The Crafty Classroom.  So up for yourselves treasures in Heaven (Matthew 6:20).


Put together this activity for the kids to make their own rainbow using Skittles.  First they placed their skittles on a plate in the order or pattern they wanted.


Once they had the skittles how they wanted it I added some warm water to the plate, starting in the center of the plate till all the skittles were in water.  


It was so cool to see how the colors spread to the middle of the plate.  So many pretty colors, kids always love doing this experiment.






Ended our lesson on making a prayer rainbow. "Everything is possible with God" (Mark 10:27).   






No comments:

Post a Comment